The delicious recipe of the English soup, a typical dessert of the Italian tradition. Despite the name
The name may be misleading, but the English soup, or soup, has an Italian passport: according to the most accredited thesis it was born in Emilia Romagna, in Ferrara, at the Estensi court. Originally it was bathed in rum, a typical drink of British sailors in the ports.
ENGLISH SOUP RECIPE
Despite the name that can be misleading, the English soup is an Italian dessert. A traditional dish based on sponge cake, ladyfingers, alchermes and custard from ancient origins, widely used in family-run restaurants as an alternative to classic tiramisu. The English soup, or soup, has its roots in Emilia Romagna and Tuscany and takes its name from the fact that, before, it was made with rum, the drink of the sailors of his majesty
INGREDIENTS (for 6 – 8 portions)
-1 liter of whole milk
-12 ladyfingers biscuits
-8 tablespoons of granulated sugar
-4 spoons of flour
-2 yolks (the egg whites are kept in the refrigerator or freezer)
-150 grams of dark chocolate
-1 sachet of vanillin (or a vanilla bean)
-Alkermes liqueur (essential for coloring red biscuits)
-1 transparent bowl (or individual transparent bowls)
-Preparation time: about 1 hour, one day in advance, without haste
1. Divide the milk into two half liters
2. Prepare the white cream: whisk one egg yolk with half sugar, then add 2 tablespoons of flour a little at a time to mix it perfectly. Add half a liter of milk, stirring constantly, a perfume with vanilla, put on the fire and bring to a very slight boil (just a quiver) for five minutes. Never stop mixing
3. Prepare the chocolate cream: same procedure, without adding vanilla. In the meantime, melt the chocolate in a water bath or in the microwave and add it at the end.
4. Allow the creams to cool
5. Pour a little Alkermes into a deep dish, dip the biscuits and place them in a crown on the bottom of the bowl, cover with the white cream, make a second layer of biscuits horizontally and finish with the chocolate cream.
6. For individual preparations, cut the biscuits in half
This beautiful dessert can be further enriched with the addition of chocolate flakes in the white cream and chopped hazelnuts in the chocolate cream
After the Christmas holidays, you can prepare the English soup with pandoro and panettone leftovers instead of the classic ladyfingers.