How to clean leather boots to keep them looking brand new
The cleaning boots of skin may be one of the big questions you have when you go to buy a new pair.
Before starting to discuss how to clean leather boots, you must take into account a series of fundamental aspects:
- Clean the dirt from your boots after each use. Removing the accumulated dust with a brush is enough.
- Avoid using water or any other wet cleanser, as the skin will stain.
- Do not put this type of footwear in the sun, since the heat deforms it and dries the skin extremely easily.
- The skin of your footwear, like that of your body, needs constant care to always show its best image.
Cleaning your leather boots step by step
Imagine that you put your boots away at the end of last winter and now you want to put them back on.
To surprise everyone you just have to follow the following steps:
- Use a dry and soft cloth to rub, without applying too much pressure, the entire surface of your footwear. You just have to remove the accumulated dust.
- Take a cloth slightly dampened with water and a specific soap for the skin or with a cleansing foam.
Rub gently and do not forget to use a brush to access the interior areas of the possible reliefs that you could find.
- Remove the soap with a dry cloth and let your boots dry in the shade. Wait at least a day to check that the skin is completely dry.
- Apply cream to nourish the skin that is transparent. It will be very useful if you have boots of different colors.
Use a dry cloth and brush to apply the product in circles. Think that you are giving a massage to the skin so that the product causes the opportune effects. Wait about 30 minutes.
- Now you can start polishing your boots with a clean cloth.
It won’t take long to see how shiny they look on you and they look the same as the first day.
Although this is the usual procedure to clean leather boots, we cannot ignore that there are many grandmother’s remedies that seem to be highly effective.
Find out which ones work in the following sections.
Is it appropriate to clean leather boots with Nivea?
Yes, it is useful to clean leather boots with Nivea. In addition, you just have to choose the classic one from the blue can and apply it in step four of those described above.
Being so moisturizing, you will make the skin adopt a more natural tone, as well as correct its possible irregularities.
However, you should bear in mind that this process may be somewhat slower than using a specific product for your shoes.
We advise you to consider this aspect, take it into account and let the cream dry for a longer time to obtain the best result.
The effectiveness of horse fat
If your boots are made of oiled leather, or they are the typical model used for hiking or mountain activities, horse fat will help you increase their resistance.
Apply it in the same way as the previous option.
How to clean light leather boots?
To clean light-skinned boots we advise you, after removing the dirt, to use a moisturizing soap that you will apply with a damp cloth.
It is important that you create a lather, but without rubbing more than recommended. The movements have to be smooth.
Use another damp cloth to remove the foam. Blot excess water with a towel and allow the boots to air dry, but out of the sun.
When they are dry, apply the transparent cream or moisturizer of your choice.
Tips to make your suede, suede, or nubuck boots look like new
This type of boots requires a different treatment to restore their original color and softness. With these tips it will be much easier to achieve it:
- Brush accumulated dirt with a stiff bristle brush from the instep to the toe.
- When they are clean, check if they are perfect. Pay special attention to areas that are badly worn or if there are stains that are difficult to clean.
- If they are perfect, apply a specific shoe conditioner for this type of skin.
You could use some horse grease to clean suede boots, but not a moisturizer. Rub gently, wait a bit, and polish your boots.
- In the most worn or shiny areas, just use a new dishwasher pad.
Rub gently until the skin matches its surrounding tone. Finish the process with what was stated in the previous point.
- If the leather is stained, take a new scouring pad with a little dishwasher to scrub the stains with greater dedication, but without excess. Lather the entire boot. Rinse with a cloth dampened in clean water until no more foam comes out.
- To dry your boots you must fill them with absorbent paper and leave them in a shady area.